This upcoming Tuesday is the first City Council meeting since the 7 News story about Crystal's work hours in her recent job in Adams County as Director of Parks & Recreation. So we are about to discover if the Council, which is so quick to pass judgment on Rob Smoke, Adrian Sopher, and apparently George Bush - is also willing to look at one of it's own when the circumstances merit.
I have sent the following email to all of the council members, and will post replies I receive below:
First off, I realize this is rough for all of you. You work closely with Crystal and she is a very nice person. But that relationship cannot mean that councilmember’s actions are never reviewed.
I have two questions for you on if you intend to address the issues about Crystal’s job performance in Adams County as raised by 7 News.
When Rob Smoke wrote something “inappropriate” on his personal blog, the City Council found it an important enough issue to discuss if he should be removed from the Human Rights Commission.
When Adrian Sopher’s actions were determined to be legal, but to give the appearance of impropriety, there was a vote to determine if he should be removed from the planning commission.
- With the questions raised about Crystal’s job performance by 7 News, do you think the City Council should investigate this to make it’s own determination as to what occurred? Why?
- If your answer was yes, what action if any do you propose to take at this Tuesday’s council meeting?
- If there is an investigation and it finds that Crystal was working less than half time at a full time job as alleged by 7 News, should the council take any action? Why?
I look forward to your responses.
Thanks – dave
And I have sent the following email to Crystal and will post her reply here also:
First off, I understand that this whole thing is difficult for you, and I do think you’re a nice person. But I also think that as an officeholder the 7 News report raises questions that are germane to your fitness to be a city councilwoman.
- Will you address this issue at this Tuesday’s council meeting? If no, why?
- Are you going to give the voters of Boulder your side of the story on this issue?
- If not, why?
- If so, when and will it include supporting documentation?
- If the 7 News story is accurate (or you decide to not discuss the story), do you think this impacts your moral authority as a councilmember? Why?
I look forward to your response.
Thanks – dave
I understand that it is difficult for the council to look critically at one of its own. And Crystal is well liked by the other councilmembers. But we did not elect the council to take the easy road, we elected them to step up and face the hard decisions that come before them. They need to do their job and the 7 News report raises credible allegations that they need to address.
I hope to live blog from the council meeting this upcoming Tuesday. Please come back here during the meeting for updates.
Replies from Councilmembers:
none so far.